Össur works with individuals, clinicians and diverse communities around the world to support a better quality of life for millions of people. Our commitment to equality, in terms of aspiration and opportunity, is reflected across our operations, our customer-base and beyond.
Recognized by the World Economic Forum as a Technology Pioneer, Össur is determined to further strengthen its market position Helping to achieve that goal are strategic acquisitions such as that of upper-limb prosthetic specialists Touch Bionics, among others.
Founded in 1971, Össur is a global leader in non-invasive orthopaedics and is listed on the NASDAQ Copenhagen Stock Exchange.
A talented team
Inspired and inspirational people with the smartest minds – Össur has around 2,800 employees working across 18 locations worldwide.
Extensive global reach
Össur has its head office in Iceland and operational centers in the Americas, Europe and Asia, as well as numerous distributors in other markets.
The Össur name
The company is named after Össur Kristinsson, an Icelandic prosthetist who developed the Iceross® liner, the breakthrough silicone interface for prosthetic sockets. Building on that pioneering tradition, Össur has added numerous innovative products and services to its portfolio. Strategic acquisitions and significant ongoing investment in research & development have contributed to our growth.
- New products include the Pro-Flex® LP, Pro-Flex® XC, RHEO KNEE® 3, RHEO KNEE® XC, Unloader® Hip, Rebound® Hip and a range of Form Fit products.
- Össur acquires Medi Prosthetics (Germany) and Touch Bionics (UK).
- Team Össur athletes in the spotlight at the Rio Paralympic Games, winning 26 medals and setting three World and six Paralympic records.
- Össur launches #MyWinningMoment – the Company’s first online contest celebrating amputee mobility.
- Össur expands the Unloader® OA brace family with introduction of Unloader FIT, and launches the Rebound® PCL , the world’s first dynamic force brace.
- Mind-controlled prosthetics introduced at Össur Capital Markets Day.
- Össur Ambassador Jami Marseilles becomes first female bilateral amputee to complete a full marathon.
Education and Empowerment
- Össur introduces new products, Rebound® Cartilage, and SYMBIONIC® LEG 3
- New Össur Academy facility opens in Orlando, Florida.
- Össur signs the United Nations Women‘s Empowerment Principles.
- Richard Browne Jr. and two world record holders, Alan Oliveira and Markus Rehm join Team Össur.
- New products include Cheetah Xtreme® and Cheetah Xtend® running feet, both with Nike Spike Pad, as well as Vari-Flex® XC Rotate, Unity®, Miami Lumbar® Posteo, CTi® Custom and SmartMeasure™.
- Össur acquires TeamOlmed (Sweden), OCH (Norway) and Ortopedia Correto (Brazil).
- Össur CEO Jon Sigurdsson among 20 “greatest business thinkers” in the Nordic region
- Össur introduces the world‘s first complete bionic leg - the SYMBIONIC LEG®- promptly named "Best Of What's New" by Popular Science magazine.LEG
- Javelin Gold medalist Helgi Sveinsson joins Team Össur.
- Team Össur members take center stage at the London Paralympic Games, capturing numerous medals, while Oscar Pistorius becomes first amputee to also compete in the Olympic Games.
- Introduction of a second generation POWER KNEE®, the world’s first and still the only motor-powered prosthesis for above-knee amputees.
- Össur receives the Red Dot Design Award in the product design category for the PROPRIO FOOT® and the Rebound Air Walker®.
- Introduction of a redesigned RHEO KNEE®, solidifying Össur’s leading role in bionic technology.
- Össur listed on the NASDAQ OMX Copenhagen Stock Exchange.
- Össur awarded the Charles D. Siegal President’s Award by the Disability Rights Legal Center.
- Team Össur athletes participate in the Beijing Paralympic Games, achieving great success.
- Vice President of Research & Innovation, Dr. Hilmar Janusson, named by Business Week as one of the Top Ten Cutting Edge Designers of the Year.
Enhanced Portfolio new Products
- Össur acquires Gibaud Group (France), as well as Innovation Sports (USA), the latter best known for its popular CTi® knee brace.
- Launch of third Bionic product – the world’s first intelligent foot module, the PROPRIO FOOT®.
- Össur launches its second bionic product. The POWER KNEE® is the world’s first powered prosthesis for above-knee amputees.
- Össur acquires Advanced Prosthetic Components (USA), Royce Medical Holdings Inc. (USA), Innovative Medical Products (UK) and GMB Medical AB (Sweden).
- Össur launches RHEO KNEE®; the first of three products in the Company’s bionic technology platform.
- Launch of the Iceross Seal-In® liner; a revolutionary silicone suspension concept.
- Össur acquires Generation II Group, creators of leading osteoarthritis knee brace “The Unloader®”.
- Össur acquires Flex-Foot Inc., Pi Medical, Karlsson and Bergström and Century XXII.
- Össur listed on the Iceland Stock Exchange (now known as NASDAQ OMX Stock Exchange).
- Össur granted its first patent.
- The company ‘Össur’ founded in Reykjavik by prosthetist Össur Kristinsson, together with several Icelandic disability organizations.