Össur works with individuals, clinicians and diverse communities around the world to support a better quality of
life for millions of people. Our commitment to equality, in terms of aspiration and opportunity, is reflected
across our operations, our customer-base and beyond.
Recognized by the World Economic Forum as a Technology Pioneer, Össur is determined to further strengthen its market
position Helping to achieve that goal are strategic acquisitions such as that of upper-limb prosthetic specialists
Touch Bionics, among others.
Founded in 1971, Össur is a global leader in non-invasive orthopaedics and is listed
on the NASDAQ Copenhagen Stock Exchange.
A talented team
Inspired and inspirational people with the smartest minds – Össur has around 3000
employees located in 20 countries.
Extensive global reach
Össur has its head office in Iceland and operational centers in the Americas, Europe
and Asia, as well as numerous distributors in other markets.
The Össur name
The company is named after Össur Kristinsson, an Icelandic prosthetist who developed the Iceross®
liner, the breakthrough silicone interface for prosthetic sockets. Building on that pioneering tradition,
Össur has added numerous innovative products and services to its portfolio. Strategic acquisitions and
significant ongoing investment in research & development have contributed to our growth.
We innovate to improve people‘s mobility
- 25 new products launched including Pro-Flex® LP Align, Rebound® Post-Op Knee and an array of soft goods products both under the Össur Formfit® and Gibaud® brands.
- The Össur Formfit® Pro Knee OA was launched in partnership with Iceland’s national soccer team.
- The value of the Össur Unloader One® brace confirmed in first of its kind placebo OA bracing study.
- Scottish First Minister announces R&D grant for Össur‘s Touch Bionics operations.
- Össur named one of the top orthopedic device firms by ODT.
- Team Össur athletes win 10 medals and set 2 world records in Berlin at the IPC Athletics European Championships and Markus Rehm sets a new world record at the Japan Para Championships.
Solutions that make a difference
- New products include Unloader® One Lite, Miami LSO®, Pro-Flex®
LP Torsion and Pro-Flex® XC Torsion as well as new versions of the RHEO KNEE®
and RHEO KNEE® XC
- Össur Ambassadors featured in campaigns for global brands such as Toyota and Nike
- Touch Bionics receives two Scotland Life Sciences Awards
- Össur selected by Orange County Register as Top Workplace
- Össur participates as Gold sponsor at the Global ISPO Congress held in Cape Town, South Africa
- Pro golfer William McGirt becomes an Unloader® spokesperson
- Over 400 entries received in the third #MyWinningMoment contest
- New products include the Pro-Flex® LP, Pro-Flex® XC, RHEO KNEE®
3, RHEO KNEE® XC, Unloader® Hip, Rebound® Hip and a range of
Form Fit products.
- Össur acquires Medi Prosthetics (Germany) and Touch Bionics (UK).
- Team Össur athletes in the spotlight at the Rio Paralympic Games, winning 26 medals and setting
three World and six Paralympic records.
- Össur launches #MyWinningMoment – the Company’s first online contest celebrating amputee
- Össur expands the Unloader® OA brace family with introduction of Unloader FIT, and
launches the Rebound® PCL , the world’s first dynamic force brace.
- Mind-controlled prosthetics introduced at Össur Capital Markets Day.
- Össur Ambassador Jami Marseilles becomes first female bilateral amputee to complete a full
Education and Empowerment
- Össur introduces new products, Rebound® Cartilage, and SYMBIONIC® LEG 3
- New Össur Academy facility opens in Orlando, Florida.
- Össur signs the United Nations Women‘s Empowerment Principles.
- Richard Browne Jr. and two world record holders, Alan Oliveira and Markus Rehm join Team Össur.
- New products include Cheetah Xtreme® and Cheetah Xtend® running feet,
both with Nike Spike Pad, as well as Vari-Flex® XC Rotate, Unity®, Miami
Lumbar® Posteo, CTi® Custom and SmartMeasure™.
- Össur acquires TeamOlmed (Sweden), OCH (Norway) and Ortopedia Correto (Brazil).
- Össur CEO Jon Sigurdsson among 20 “greatest business thinkers” in the Nordic region
- Össur introduces the world‘s first complete bionic leg - the SYMBIONIC LEG®-
promptly named "Best Of What's New" by Popular Science magazine.LEG
- Javelin Gold medalist Helgi Sveinsson joins Team Össur.
- Team Össur members take center stage at the London Paralympic Games, capturing numerous medals,
while Oscar Pistorius becomes first amputee to also compete in the Olympic Games.
- Introduction of a second generation POWER KNEE®, the world’s first and still the
only motor-powered prosthesis for above-knee amputees.
- Össur receives the Red Dot Design Award in the product design category for the PROPRIO FOOT®
and the Rebound Air Walker®.
- Introduction of a redesigned RHEO KNEE®, solidifying Össur’s leading role in bionic
- Össur listed on the NASDAQ OMX Copenhagen Stock Exchange.
- Össur awarded the Charles D. Siegal President’s Award by the Disability Rights Legal Center.
- Team Össur athletes participate in the Beijing Paralympic Games, achieving great success.
- Vice President of Research & Innovation, Dr. Hilmar Janusson, named by Business Week as one of
the Top Ten Cutting Edge Designers of the Year.
Enhanced Portfolio new Products
- Össur acquires Gibaud Group (France), as well as Innovation Sports (USA), the latter best known
for its popular CTi® knee brace.
- Launch of third Bionic product – the world’s first intelligent foot module, the PROPRIO FOOT®.
- Össur launches its second bionic product. The POWER KNEE® is the world’s first
powered prosthesis for above-knee amputees.
- Össur acquires Advanced Prosthetic Components (USA), Royce Medical Holdings Inc. (USA),
Innovative Medical Products (UK) and GMB Medical AB (Sweden).
- Össur launches RHEO KNEE®; the first of three products in the Company’s bionic
- Launch of the Iceross Seal-In® liner; a revolutionary silicone suspension concept.
- Össur acquires Generation II Group, creators of leading osteoarthritis knee brace “The Unloader®”.
- Össur acquires Flex-Foot Inc., Pi Medical, Karlsson and Bergström and Century XXII.
- Össur listed on the Iceland Stock Exchange (now known as NASDAQ OMX Stock Exchange).
- Össur granted its first patent.
- The company ‘Össur’ founded in Reykjavik by prosthetist Össur Kristinsson, together with
several Icelandic disability organizations.