The content of this page was last updated on June 1 2016.
For the purposes of this Policy, the terms "we", "us", "our" and “Össur” refer to Össur hf. and its subsidiaries. The terms “you” and "your" refer to you, as a user of an Össur Program.
1. Your Consent
Given that the Internet is a global environment, using the Internet to collect and process personal data necessarily involves the transmission of data on an international basis. Therefore, by using our Programs and communicating electronically with us, you acknowledge and agree to our processing of personal data in this way.
2. Personal Information - our collection of information that you provide us with
A. General policy
This Policy is designed to assist you in understanding how we collect, use and safeguard the personal information you provide to us and to assist you in making informed decisions when using our Programs and our products and services. This statement will be continuously assessed against new technologies, business practices and our customers' needs.
Broadly speaking, we use personal information for purposes of administering our business activities, providing customer service and making available other products and services to our customers and prospective customers.
B. Information collection
Össur is the sole owner of the information collected through the Össur Programs. We do not sell, share, or rent this information to others.
The information we collect through the Össur Programs can be categorized as follows:
- Voluntarily supplied information is information that users might give us while using the services provided by Össur Programs; such as signing up for our newsletters, sending an Össur web page as e-mail, submitting an order for material or products, contacting the company or our experts with questions or using our apps.
This information falls into the following categories:
- General demographic information - is general non-personal information, such as country, year of birth, gender, products used etc. This helps us to identify our user groups and customize the Programs and their content according to their needs.
- Personally identifiable information - is any information that might help someone identify a specific person (eg name, home address, telephone number etc). Users leave personally identifiable information with us for three reasons; to enable us to contact them to answer questions, requests and inquiries - when requesting products or other material, or when sharing an Össur web-page using the "send page" function in which case Össur monitors communication to prevent abuse and improve service. Personally identifiable information is only collected voluntarily on the Össur web site.
- Personal health information - is information about the health status or history of an individual (for example, if they have a chronic condition, their family medical history etc). It is not necessary to supply any personal health information in order to sign up or participate in any of the forums on this Össur web site. In some cases users may wish to give us personal health information so that we can serve them better. For example, a certain amount of health information may be needed as part of the necessary background information when using 'Ask the Expert', but that information is only used by our health professionals to answer that specific request or question. Some order forms (such as for custom made products) may require a certain level of personal health information to be given for the end-user of the product that is being ordered. Personal health information is only collected voluntarily on Össur Programs.
3. Personal Information - our use of information that you provide us with
A. General use of information
The information collected by Össur through its Programs is used for the following purposes:
- Site traffic reports - these include general non-personal information on the traffic and usage of the web site. Traffic reports are standardized server reports that show general trends and behavior and cannot be connected to any individual or computer. Information on traffic is used to measure the success of the site and its content.
- Generic user group reports - from the information collected on the mailing list forms, quantitative reports are extracted on the group's age range, gender division (%), nationality/language and level of amputation (%). These reports never contain personally identifiable information and the sole purpose is to give our web site and marketing team generic information on the web site's audience. Generic user group reports are used to optimize the layout, structure and presentation of the material and services provided on the web site to maximize the user experience. The information collected through the Össur web site is not used to create customer profiles based on browsing or purchasing history. We do not supplement information collected at our web site with data from other sources.
- Frequently asked questions - from the information collected through the 'Ask the Expert' forum, periodic reports are created, based on the quantity of requests and typical questions or problems brought to our attention through the forum. The information in those reports is filtered by our experts and contains no personally identifiable information.
- Provision of information and services - Össur uses the information provided by the user to process orders, requests, answer questions and deliver requested material as stated here. Users may expect to be contacted within two to three working days regarding general requests. 'Ask the Expert' users may expect answers within five working days. Printed material is typically mailed within five working days from receipt of the request. Delivery of printed material depends on local postal services. Material is only sent to users that have requested or opted-in to such mailings. Users on mailing lists may opt out at any time, upon which their record is deleted. Promotional material sent to members of mailing lists may be targeted and/or customized based on the personal information given by the user, as clearly stated on the registry page. Any orders that are sent via the website, whether through a specific form or e-mail, are processed according to the standards and best practices of the sender's local Össur office.
- Printed material such as brochures, product catalogs, 'Footnotes' newsletter and other promotional material. This type of material is sent only on request.
- Communication (such as e-mails, letters, telephone calls etc) in response to comments, requests, questions or information given by the user.
- Other requests or orders are referred to the senders local Össur office and processed according to the standards and best practices of that office. The information provided in such communications is only used for the successful completion of the order in question.
B. Access to the information that you provide us with
Össur maintains the accuracy of its information only by users volunteering updated information.
Users may access their own personal information upon request and contact Össur about inaccuracies they may find by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Users may delete their information from Össur's database by unsubscribing from our mailing lists or by request to email@example.com
Össur will not sell, trade, or rent your personal information or site statistics to others.
Össur may release user information when we believe, in good faith, that such release is reasonably necessary to (i) comply with law, (ii) enforce or apply the terms of any of our user agreements or (iii) protect the rights, property or safety of Össur, our users, or others.
4. Secure Transactions
Where required, transactions with our Programs is secured via valid certificate that ensures secure transmission of data.
5. Employee Access, Training and Expectations
All persons working on Össur´s Programs and their technical environment, whether employees of Össur or not, are bound by an agreement of confidentiality.
Our corporate values, ethical standards, policies and practices are committed to the protection of customer information. In general, our business practices limit employee access to confidential information, and limit the use and disclosure of such information to authorized persons, processes and transactions.
6. No Grant of Intellectual Property
All intellectual property rights, including any trademarks or copyright in the content of Össur´s Programs, are owned by Össur, except where otherwise stated. Material may not be copied, broadcast, stored (in any medium), shown or played in public, reproduced, republished, downloaded, posted, broadcast, transmitted, adapted or changed in any way except for your own personal, non-commercial use.
If you wish to use copyrighted material from Össur´s Programs, whether copy, logo, image, video or other material, please contact us. Our contact information can be found at the bottom of this page.
7. Children's Privacy
If you believe your child is participating in an activity that collects personal information and you or another parent/guardian have NOT consented, or if you no longer wish for your child to participate as a member of the Program(s), please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will delete your child's account and the parental contact information.
8. Other Web Sites Linked to our Site
We are not responsible for the practices employed by web sites linked to or from our Programs nor the information or content contained therein.
9. Jurisdiction and Governing Law
Any dispute arising between Össur and users with reference to Össur´s Programs is to be governed by Icelandic law and is subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Icelandic Courts.
If problems arise, users may contact Össur by e-mail, phone and/or mail. We are committed to resolving potential disputes as soon as possible.
Information on how to contact Össur in your area can be found on http://www.ossur.com.
E-mails may be sent to email@example.com